A friend of mine from high school commented a while back that it is hard to believe I am now a farmer. I would have to agree. But, I love being a dairy farmer. I never EVER would have predicted this would be my life or that I would feel so "passionate" about it.
Having your own business takes a lot out of you. It puts a lot of strain on your relationships. And when you feel like you are failing you need to rely on something. I have to be passionate about this life. I have to acknowledge and appreciate the love, dedication and hard work that we put in every day.
When I started farming I had absolutely no idea about anything. I had never touched a cow, owned a pair of rubber boots or fed a baby calf. It isn't just about having a few cows, squirting some milk and bringing in the dough.
It's being 34 weeks pregnant and my husband had the flu and I milked the cows by myself. It's a business that doesn't close its doors when the owner is ill.
It's working two jobs off the farm and my daughter was at daycare for 11 hours because my husband was running the farm alone. So many of her milestones were witnessed by everyone except her parents.
Its friends who don't invite us out anymore because for years we just couldn't find the time (or energy). The wedding receptions we show up to when the food is put away (thank goodness for family members who save us a plate). And it's when my kids haven't seen their dad in a week because he is out in the fields.
If you own your own business these are the sacrifices that come with it. This is the choice we make.
So right now, when business isn't so good and every day I go out to the barn I lose a little more. Right now when I refuse to cut corners on cow feed or comfort but tell my family no to eating out. Right now it is passion keeping us going. Farm on.
Having your own business takes a lot out of you. It puts a lot of strain on your relationships. And when you feel like you are failing you need to rely on something. I have to be passionate about this life. I have to acknowledge and appreciate the love, dedication and hard work that we put in every day.
When I started farming I had absolutely no idea about anything. I had never touched a cow, owned a pair of rubber boots or fed a baby calf. It isn't just about having a few cows, squirting some milk and bringing in the dough.
It's being 34 weeks pregnant and my husband had the flu and I milked the cows by myself. It's a business that doesn't close its doors when the owner is ill.
It's working two jobs off the farm and my daughter was at daycare for 11 hours because my husband was running the farm alone. So many of her milestones were witnessed by everyone except her parents.
Its friends who don't invite us out anymore because for years we just couldn't find the time (or energy). The wedding receptions we show up to when the food is put away (thank goodness for family members who save us a plate). And it's when my kids haven't seen their dad in a week because he is out in the fields.
If you own your own business these are the sacrifices that come with it. This is the choice we make.
So right now, when business isn't so good and every day I go out to the barn I lose a little more. Right now when I refuse to cut corners on cow feed or comfort but tell my family no to eating out. Right now it is passion keeping us going. Farm on.
No comments:
Post a Comment