I love this life. For all of its ups and downs this is where I am happiest. If money were magically to land before me; you would still find me milking cows tomorrow. Because it's not the money that drags my ass to the barn is everything BUT money.
Being a farmer (like they say) is a lifestyle. It's being a milk maid, a caretaker, machine operator, bookkeeper, weather watcher and business partner. It's having a daily routine but EVERY DAY is different. I live on caffeine and carbs because a 'workout' is hidden as a chore and occasionally I open a cold one an hour before calling it a day. I make my own schedule and hit the beach when the thermostat says 92 degrees so I can have a family day (field work permitting). I ride in the pickup truck with my husband and for a few moments it feels like we are dating again and life is simpler. I watch my kids run through fields, get covered in dirt and be wild horses searching for the missing and mysterious river.
I feel older and wiser when I'm sitting in a tractor cab and find solutions to all the world's problems. I also feel like a country super star belting out the Top 40, but who wouldn't?! I am reminded of how to treat others when I'm frustrated with an animal, because nothing is accomplished in anger when you're dealing with 1200 lbs. These lessons on the farm have made me more patient and thankful and those were qualities I lacked in the first two decades of my life....if I'm being honest.
Now, tomorrow will be a hard day.
I know this now and it won't stop the day from happening. Because for every three things I love about being a farmer there is one that I hate. Tomorrow I will put one of my girls on the trailer and she will leave the farm.
And tomorrow I will sit here and dislike my job so today I needed to remember what I gain from it all.
It is very rewarding work, a lot of people don't understand what a farmer goes through, we had a dairy farm in the early 80's, Reagan cut the dairy subsidy $3.00 and just starting out we didn't make. I would do it again tomorrow if I could. Nothing like farm life. My kids learned what hard work was. Great memories
ReplyDeleteWe have been farming 8 years and hearing the stories (good or not) from other farmers is the only thing helping to keep my stress level down. Thank you!
DeleteWe have been farming 8 years and hearing the stories (good or not) from other farmers is the only thing helping to keep my stress level down. Thank you!
DeleteIt is very rewarding work, a lot of people don't understand what a farmer goes through, we had a dairy farm in the early 80's, Reagan cut the dairy subsidy $3.00 and just starting out we didn't make. I would do it again tomorrow if I could. Nothing like farm life. My kids learned what hard work was. Great memories
ReplyDelete