Being Farm Kids

"I wasn't raised in a barn but I got here as fast as I could"

That definitely apply's to me. My first day in a barn didn't happen until I was 24 years old. My kids on the other hand don't know anything other than life on the farm. And I'm glad for that. For them.
My children have fallen asleep to the sound of pulsator's. They have crawled and learned to walk smack dab in the middle of the parlor. And they've been exposed to more germs in the first 12 months of life than you'd probably like to hear about.

My children have no idea that a lot of families have Saturdays and Sundays off or go on vacations to visit new places. They don't realize that most Dad's and Mom's who work can't take their kids with them. And learning to drive a tractor at 5 is not the norm.

Rain days are their favorite because Dad stays inside. They drink from the well and run around outside exploring until the bugs start to bite. And on good days they get hosed down in the milk house before they take a shower because Mom's tub just can't handle that much dirt.

My children are learning things before they even know they are being taught. Kindness, compassion, loss, independence.This is just life for them and I hope one day they find the beauty in it. I continue to learn every day with them and these memories we make remind me I don't want life any other way. For them or for me.

To see more of our farm or being a farm kid follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/michiganfarmgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment